Do It For Them

Do It For Them
Seven reasons worth fighting for-Ben, Hannah, Emma, Molly, Katie, Grace, and Jack

Husband, Father, Son, Our Superman

Husband, Father, Son, Our Superman

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A funny thing happend on the way to....

Tonight we had parent teacher conferences at the elementaries school.


I love these nights by the way, please bear with me for a slight topic derailment, the one night that teachers and others give me a great big pat on the back, saying "Hey Mom, you're doing a fabulous job!". The one night I can pretend that I really do have the most fabulous, cooperative, well behaved children EVER! If only the monkeys teachers could see their bedrooms.


Anyway, back on topic, we were on our way to our first appointment with Grace's teacher and a funny thing, almost unfortunately commen thing happend in the hallways.


This sweet, precious and curious child walked by Duane and I and with eyes as wide as saucers craned her neck to watch us as we walked away from her. Oh it was priceless. You could just hear the thoughts zooming through her little noggin, "Oh my Gosh! That man is yellow!" This was the first time I had noticed this new occurance in Duane's life, I guess it's happend before. I couldn't stop chuckling. Am I just horrible? I mean if I were to be the jaundiced one, HOLY COW! Not enough make-up could get me out of the house. Well maybe I exaggerate some, but still!


What a trooper Duane is, what a great Dad! Still going to parent teacher conferences, still going to football games to see Katie cheer and going to more football games to watch Molly do her Tigette thing. Mind you that's all he can do for that day, but hey, it's one day at a time, one activity at a time, and memories the kids will have for a lifetime of how Dad came to see them.


As long as he can muster the energy, tolerate the little childrens stares, the energy drain after the event I want him right by my side, yellow eyes and all. I wouldn't have it any other way.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! How lucky you are to have a friend, husband, lover, and dad to your kids like Duane. Never when you married him did I expect such greatness or gentleness or sickness. You both continue to amaze me with your ability to handle the trials with such grace. I love you both.

SuZ said...

Your husband is an amazing man... :) My Dad is going through cancer, for the third time, and his strength has always amazed me. Thank you for sharing this.