It's wintry outside right now, I can't say snowy because it's not snow but sleet that looks like powder snow. It's cold and wet and icy and cold, did I mention that the kids are out of school the second day in a row.
These were Daddy days. The days that Duane would shine as a father, he loved snow. He loved pulling the kids on the sled, skating with them on the ice, just a big kid at heart when it came to snow. Me, I'm the Grinch. My heart is 3 sizes to small when it comes to the wet, cold wintry stuff.
It really got me thinking. All the little things that I miss about Duane being gone. All the things he did for us and did with us. Those little things that we all take for granted, at least I did with Duane. I miss the little things that my love did. Here is a list of a few things that I miss.
- building a fire in the fire place
- playing in the snow with the kids
- driving on the ice
- letting me put my cold feet under his behind to warm them up
- being excited for a snow day
- wanting a wiener roast in the fire place
- scraping ice off my wind shield
- not minding if I make soup every night for a week
- listening to me complain about the kids but understanding that I love them dearly
- flowers for when I've had a hard day
- getting me a diet coke with lemon from Sonic
- watching Lost with me and analyzing the episode
- replacing broken mini blinds without a hitch
- being a tax genius
- keeping me level headed
- going to the grocery store when I needed something to finish dinner
- saying "Hello Beautiful" at the beginning of every phone call
- hearing his spiritual ah-ha moments
- listening to him read Fablehaven to the kids
- watching that certain pg-13 movie that we both wanted to see but wouldn't want the kids to watch
- a shoulder to cry on
Such a small list really, but these are all things that have crossed my mind in the last 24 hours since the ice/sleet started to fall. I never knew how much he did for me. I miss him dearly.